Garcinia HCALife Extension Foundation
DIRECTIONS: Take one (1) capsule three times daily, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Best taken 45 minutes before meals. This supplement should be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise program. Results may vary.
Serving Size 1 Vegetarian Capsule
Amount Per Serving
Garcinia cambogia extract 500 mg
(fruit) [standardized to 60% hydroxycitric acid (300 mg)]
Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, gum acacia, ascorbyl palmitate.
HCA (hydroxycitric acid) is a close relative of citric acid, the agent that gives citrus fruits their characteristic tart flavor. HCA occurs in Garcinia cambogia, a small fruit from southern India, where it has been used for centuries as a food preservative, flavoring agent, and digestive aid. HCA is a safe, natural supplement for weight management.1
When calorie intake exceeds the body’s energy needs, the excess glucose is converted into glycogen, which is stored in the liver and muscles for future conversion into energy. Weight gain occurs after the body’s capacity for glycogen storage is reached. At this point, glucose from excessive calorie intake is converted into acetyl coenzyme A via a metabolic pathway involving the enzyme ATP-citrate lyase and then into fat molecules, which are stored in fat cells. HCA is a competitive inhibitor of ATP citrate lyase, a key enzyme which facilitates the synthesis of fatty acids, cholesterol and triglycerides. HCA may reduce the synthesis of fatty acids in humans during a persistent excess of energy intake as carbohydrate.2
It has been suggested that HCA promotes weight loss by increasing serotonin levels, reducing hunger and appetite, and suppressing carbohydrate conversion into fat by inhibiting ATP-citrate lyase, 2-9 thus regulating fat and related genes.10 HCA may also attenuate the increases in oxidative stress, and insulin resistance.11
This supplement should be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise program. Results may vary.
1. J Med. 2004;35(1-6):33-48.
2. Physiol Behav. 2006 Jul 30;88(4-5):371-81.
3. J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Jan 2;50(1):10-22.
4. Med Hypotheses. 1988 Sep;27(1):39-40.
5. Curr Concepts Nutr. 1983;12:139-67.
6. Acta Biochim Pol. 1976;23(2-3):227-34.
7. Lipids. 1974 Feb;9(2):121-8.
8. Lipids. 1974 Feb;9(2):129-34.
9. J Biol Chem. 1971 Feb 10;246(3):629-32.
10. DNA Cell Biol. 2007 Sep;26(9):627-39.
11. Mol Cell Biochem. 2007 Oct;304(1-2):93-9.
Read the entire label and follow the directions carefully prior to use. Store tightly closed in a cool, dry place.
• KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
• DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE.
• Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
• When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Capsules are Vegetarian